Sunday, August 5, 2012

Happy Friendship Day


"A true friend walks in when the whole world walks out."



It is the first Sunday of August and this day is celebrated as Friendship Day. Friendship Day is quite a phenomenon in India, especially among the school and college going bunch. I haven't observed the same level of enthusiasm here though (or maybe I've way passed the age where such things are noticeable). 

The first thought that came to my mind this morning was the many happy memories that my friends and I shared on this day especially during our undergrad days in India. The tying of multicoloured friendship bands, exchange of greeting cards & gifts, the thoughtful notes and messages, going out to the cinema and the parties...those were the days. Ah! What would we do without friends. We love them unconditionally (most of the times) yet there may be times when we feel like wringing their necks! 

Here are 10 reasons I'm thankful for having such wonderful friends in my life,

1. Laughter is the best medicine
The giggling sessions with my friends are at the forefront of my friendship memories. There is nothing more fun that gathering with a group of friends and breaking into peals of laughter over the most inane topics of conversation.

2. I hear you
Friends are the best outlet to vent pent-up feelings. If I'm annoyed or frustrated about something, I feel so much better after I let off some steam. And my friends are always there patiently listening to me when I'm melodramatically ranting and raving, often faithfully nodding their heads in unison.

3. Distance doesn't matter
Some of my closest friends live thousands of miles away from me and even though it's not possible to interact with them on a regular basis, the occasional phone conversations with them are more than sufficient to catch up on life's latest updates. And even though I know the next conversation will be a long way off, I know that we can easily pick up where we left off. 

4. Mirror mirror on the wall
We choose our friends based on qualities we admire and often, our friendships reflect our own values. Friends don't just show you the mirror when you are at your best, they also help you to realize when you are at your worst. If you need to be given tough love, your friends will be the first ones to do it. That they can often do this without being judgmental or preachy makes you appreciate them all the more.

5. Need a hand? 
It can be the smallest of things but friends undoubtedly help make life easier. It can range from the smallest of favours like buying lunch, running errands, helping with an assignment, passing on messages, lending money, lying for you, providing you with an alibi to bigger, life altering favours. If I ever need a helping hand, I know that I can count on my friends to be there for me any way they can. 

6. A shoulder to cry on
In those rare instances when I'm feeling a little blue, my friends are always there to comfort me and cheer me up and tell me how awesome I am (even though I may not be feeling it myself). You can don the guise of happiness to fool the world but not your friends.

How cool is it that friends can be your own personal cheerleaders?

7. Being 'Me'
With my friends, I can be who I am and say what I feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

8. Unlimited fun
Don't you just love meeting a friend after a long time and sharing snippets of your lives over drinks or a good meal? Or hanging out at the mall with your BFF? Or going to the movies with a large group of friends? Even just sharing a cup of coffee with a friend can be the best part of someone's day.  

9. Girls night out
Need I say more?

10. The good, the bad and the ugly
Me and my friends have had our share of good times but rarely is a friendship without spats. We may have had rough patches but we have gotten through it, remained friends and nurtured our friendship over the years. That is the beauty of the bond of friendship. Forgiveness, patience and understanding is part of the deal.


I wish all my friends a very Happy Friendship Day. May our bond grow stronger with the passing years.


Lots of love buddies 💖


Cheers,
Megha


1 comment:

  1. happy friendship day megi!!! neene nan best friend! :-*

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of this post? You can leave a message to let me know. Thanks!

Please note that I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem inappropriate, offensive, spam or self-advertising. I appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...